Friday, January 22, 2016

Spiritual Parallels to the Physical World

I originally posted this as a Facebook status...but I realized a blog post version is more appropriate, since it is so long! Just some thoughts...

Physical laws of nature reflect spiritual laws...constant and unchanging.  In the Book of Mormon it says that we are "less than the dust of the earth", because the rocks obey God's will, but we don't. As I studied biology again last summer, I was struck by the order and laws that all the particles of matter seem to follow...it seemed apparent to me that these particles obey the laws of nature...or the laws of God. 

God is God because he follows these laws. We cannot live with Him and become like Him unless, step by step, we begin to conform our lives to His will, to His laws. He cannot change the fact that disobeying Him literally causes our souls to diminish....because His laws cannot change. He wants us to have everlasting life and light, and the only way to do this is to conform to spiritual laws, just as the particles conform to physical laws. 

Jesus Christ is the "life and light of the world". Just like the physical sun allows for photosynthesis, and photosynthesis is at the base of the earths ecosystem, Christ's spiritual light is at the base of our spiritual life, whether or not we acknowledge it. Keep in mind that photosynthesis was going on long before people understood it.

I love that "all things denote there is a God" (Alma 30), and I believe that through Christ, I can walk the path that leads me back to Him, and into life and love that is eternal. I am so grateful for the bible, the Book of Mormon, and words of the living prophets which allow me to come to understand these laws. Prophets are like leading scientists of the spiritual world, and the Spirit of God is our tutor. Walking the path of discipleship may seem daunting at times, but we do not walk alone. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ guide us and enable us with love and mercy as we learn to obey their laws. 

Here is the article that inspired this post:

http://www.everystudent.com/wires/organized.html

Thanks for reading!

Kristy


No comments:

Post a Comment